Sunday, December 21, 2014

PoetryPeek: Reminders

by J. Lanier


That great big puddle at the corner
obstacle to my crossing

Reminds me that
this stranded spring shower remnant 
also seeks its purpose:
to return to earth and nurture life
That sludgy liquid
pooled around the sewer grate

Reminds me that 
this stagnant trickle was once 
part of a million clear raindrops
falling urgently from the sky 
during a summer storm



Those piles of leaves
rustling along urban concrete
eddied by autumn winds

Remind me that
they too seek to complete their cycle 
beginning / ending in the sky and 
ending / beginning in earth's crumbly dark womb


That slushy, icy snow
slippery winter nuisance to older bones

Reminds me that 
      we all have a place and purpose





If we can only find
 how we fit
            together


No comments:

Post a Comment